welcome to Chania Crete – GREECE
Chania: A pleasant taste of beauty
Chania attracts many tourists from all over the world due to its natural beauty and variety of sights but also accepts visitors who are interested in economical activities in the area, as well as scientists and educators
Chania (otherwise spelled Hania), is mentioned to be the most poetic place of Crete. Filled with verdant mountains, endless beaches and impressive gorges, it covers the western part of the island with an area of 2376 km and is divided into 5 provinces with capital the city of Chania. Built on the ruins of ancient Kidonia, a powerful city-state, whose domain extended from the Chania bay to the feet of the White Mountains, this town, the second largest of the island has seen and survived many invaders, but has also tasted civilizations that left their marks on building faces, castles, walls, antiquities, monasteries and churches. The Kasteli hill, east of the port made an ideal position for prehistorical settlements. Architectural remains of Kidonia that have survived and belonged to big buildings started at the early Minoan period (1900-2200 BC). The settlements developed and evolved into an important center in the first middle-Minoan period whereupon a Minoan colony was founded, which extends beyond the Kastelli Hill. In 1450 BC a big fire destroyed it.
With the Greek-Swedish excavations, which began in 1967, buildings of this period with many rooms were found, several with floors paved with flagstones, with second storey and monumental entrances that look out on narrow streets. About 100 clay tablets with symbols of the Minoan Linear Scripture, which had been found, indicate possible existence of a palace. After the catastrophe of 1450 BC the town is rebuilt and continues to exist until the end of the Minoan years (1100 BC) with intermittent minor catastrophes. In the post-Minoan III period (1400- 1100 BC) the town reaches a very high prosperity. Its products are recognized at Knossos in the Eastern part of Crete, in Thera and even in Cyprus. Its cemetery expands considerably round the settlement.